Steps to take if you think things are going to go straight downhill
If you’ve been reading the news at all lately, which I’m sure you have, then you probably are getting lots of information about stressful events. This data feeds your mind and adds to all of the regular things that you worry about.
But what can you do about it all? Not much, to be sure. There are too many moving parts in the world economy, and they are hard to control once they start moving a particular way. Just like when the stock market kept going up week after week, it has a tendency to do down week after week.
If you think that things are going to hell in a handbasket, well then you need to start making some preparations. Please try to get outside advice before you do anything drastic because the world tends to have its ups and downs. Some people are not exposed much to the hard times.
Here are some steps to take if you are very worried:
- Plan a future place to live. Are you stressed out over your home loan or mortgage and is it consuming vast amounts of your income? Well, there are things you can do about it. You can get renters or boarders. You can sell it and pay off the loan. But make sure you think first about where you will go if you sell the home or condo. Make a specific plan.
- Share a home. If you have family members that you like, and they like you, consider sharing a big place and splitting the expenses. It may not be the best idea but at least you know them. If it helps, you can make specific rules about quiet times and kitchen rules.
- Live in an RV or camper. This is not the easiest of lifestyles but some people make it work because they have to. Your city or another city close by may be making it easier for people to do this. Explore your options.
- Move to the cheapest city or state you can find. Always remember that there are cities and towns that really need people and want properties occupied. Think about it. You might say you don’t like the weather in that one place or don’t like the cold snow in that other location, but you might consider it if you knew of the super low cost of living there.
- Conquer fear. A lot of people let fear destroy them because they let their imagination be filled with negative scenarios. Remind yourself that there are lots of options in life and that you have different choices and paths.
I recommend that you try and stay positive every day. That is very hard to do when times are bad, I’m sure, but it is really important. Keep positive and do things that are productive or that can lead to productivity.
I recommend that you keep busy. Find fun things that are free to do and enjoy as many positive moments that you can. Do cleaning and get rid of clutter. Finish projects that have been waiting for your attention.
I recommend that you build up your resilience. You don’t know your full strengths until you hit hard times and you have to use your wits and skills to survive. Show yourself and others that you’re not going down for the count or throwing in the towel, and that you’re going to keep fighting until the last second of the last round of life.