Times have changed. Millions more people are working remotely or doing online school and that means a lot of sitting in chairs and on couches.
We used to get up all the time. A class would end and students would walk down the hallway to another room. A work break would happen and people would socialize in the break room for a while.
A lot in the world has changed dramatically and for the worse. Millions of people have gotten the coronavirus and have been hospitalized or even died.
For many others, being more sedentary than before is a very bad thing for their health. What can people do about it?
Here are some suggestions:
- Before adding major changes to your routine, make sure you consult your medical professional to make sure you are healthy enough to do what you have in mind
- Make sure you get out of your seat at home as much as possible
- Find reasons to get up
- Consider a standing desk
- Walk around more and go up and down steps and stairs if you have them
- Do laps in your garden, and make sure you wear a hat or sunscreen if needed
- Do chores that require movement
- Consider jumping jacks, burpees, and push-ups inside your home
- Find ways to get outside, if your town or city permits people to do so. Wear your mask as needed
- Find hiking trails and enjoy them
Moving around more is just part of the equation when it comes to good health. You should also watch what you eat and avoid sweets and junk food.
Here are other ideas:
- Eat more vegetables at home
- Try and cook light meals
- Consume fish and seafood
- Avoid red meat if possible
Make sure to always check on your body and don’t over-exert yourself or set impossible goals. Be good to yourself and eat healthy while getting plenty of moderate exercise.