The United States of America’s election is coming up fast and will happen in early November, 2020. This election is probably going to be the most complicated and controversial election in the history of the country.
Why is it so different those year? Two words: Donald Trump.
If you have been following the news of the last four years, you have likely heard or seen President Donald Trump do things that no other USA President has ever done before. He is not shy about giving his opinion, especially on Twitter.
How will things be different this year when the election happens?
- President Donald Trump will want to stay in office
- He will focus on the ways in which he and his political party won on election day
- He or his party will focus on voting irregularities and why they happened
- Many people in many different states will file legal challenges and lawsuits regarding how some votes were counted wrong or illegally or fraudulently
- Someone will probably declare victory on election day
Will the world even know for sure who the President and Vice President winner will be on election day? All signs indicate that no, this is probably not going to happen.
The biggest change this year is the dramatic increase of millions of votes being submitted by mail and the millions of fewer votes being submitted at in-person voting places. It’s going to take quite a long time to count all of those millions of mail-in votes and not all states will be doing so at the same speed and accuracy.
What about the United States Postal Service? That is another complicated issue, as we just don’t know if this organization is able to deliver all of those millions of mail-in ballots on time or not.
What can you do as a voter in the United States of America to help make sure the election is fair and legal and that your vote is counted on time?
- Choose how you will vote: either in person or through the mail
- Know the deadlines for voting in your county and state
- Vote on time
- Encourage others to vote on time
- Be knowledgeable about election issues and political candidates
This article is not meant to advocate for one political party or another, and in no way do I mean to suggest that any political candidate or party will do anything illegal or improper at any point in time.
The upcoming election may be contested and there could be legal challenges, but I believe that there will be an orderly transition of power in the USA. It’s very important for this to happen, to ensure stability in our country.