Find the jobs and friendships where people want you around and need you
“Go to where you are celebrated and not to where you are tolerated."
I saw that written down somewhere recently and it hit me, in light of personal events in my life.
In life, it’s easy to get lost in the daily requirements of existence, like the job and bills, the kids and schooling, and the chore of grocery shopping too. But what about the fun in life?
It’s not easy as an adult to find new friendships that can help sustain you in difficult times. It can be challenging to locate new groups that you find interesting. But it is so very important for our survival.
Fun Places for You
Seek out the things you enjoy. Find places that bring happiness and joy into your life.
Here are some ideas:
- The local bar. If you like a nice cold one around people who like having you around, then spend some time at the nearby tavern. Drink responsibility, of course, and have fun.
- Yoga group. Many of us look forward to yoga and that is a wonderful place to meet new friends.
- Local gym or fitness center. It’s easy enough to make me friends wherever you exercise.
- Nearby churches or houses of worship. Lots of local friendly people go to church and like bringing new people into the congregation.
- Motorcycle clubs. If you like to ride, then being in a motorcycle club or group could be the thing for you.
- Family gatherings. Around the holidays, make sure you spend time with your family and tell them you care. It matters a lot.
Social Ties Are Important
It matters that we connect with one another, because it reinforces the social ties that keep us together. We need this, more than we can ever fully realize.
Are you needed? The answer to that question is a resounding yes, especially when you feel yourself as part of so many different social groups.
If you feel that you are not celebrated or appreciated, then work to find other people or jobs that look forward to having you around.
- Find a job that matches your skill
- Seek work that wants and needs workers and that appreciates them
- Search for places that want you there and like it when they return
- Keep going to places that know your name and want you around
These days, things are not getting easier. More challenges present themselves on a daily basis and there are plenty of unknowns out on the horizon.
You know that tomorrow is coming. Do what you can to place yourself where you are loved by others, where you are needed, and where you are celebrated.