If life taught us anything in 2020, it taught us the simple truth that things change in sudden and dramatic ways. Beyond that, it reinforced the idea that you never know what is going to happen.
How do we move forward in life after the year that was 2020? I say we move on by being stronger than before. We have more experience now.
- Many of us learned to work from home
- We helped or children do remote learning
- We adapted to the rules about masks and social distancing
- We figured out how to entertain ourselves without doing all of the things we used to do
The year 2020 was a sudden lesson that the entire planet had to pay attention to and then implement changes to their lives. We may not have enjoyed all that happened in 2020, but we sure adapted rather quickly.
How do we continue to adjust to our new reality, the one where the pandemic may never leave us entirely? We do so slowly but surely and then we pick up speed as we get back to normal.
I know there are many things that I want to do, activities that we stopped all of a sudden. I know that I am going to do what I can to support certain businesses and activities when the time is right.
- I can’t wait for bowling. The family and I used to go bowling throughout the year. Now, I think about those places and I want to know how I can help them stay in business, and I hope they can open up soon.
- I look forward to restaurants being full again. One day restaurants will be back to normal, maybe even in 2021, and that will be a glorious time. I’ve missed being around people and hearing the fun and excitement of families. Yes, we have had takeout and brought it home, but it is not anything like a bustling establishment.
- Sports events are not the same as they used to be, and that is tough for everyone. It is especially hard for the millions of employees and vendors who make extra money to support themselves and their families. I look forward to seeing crowded arenas and packed stadiums, full of excited people who cheer for their team and have a great time. I wonder if 2021 will bring back those good times.
- I want shopping to return to normal. The days of casually going to a local mall or outlet seem like a lifetime ago, when you didn’t worry about anything other than finding a parking spot.
The new year is coming us but that doesn’t mean that things are going to get better quickly. There is still a lot to think about and a lot to remember on a daily basis.
- We need to keep using masks
- We have to social distance
- We can’t let down our guard and think we are unbreakable
- We should follow the government orders regarding staying at home or similar guidelines
- We need to work together on all of this
The year 2020 was a time that nobody could have predicted and it changed many of us in a myriad of ways. I believe that we are stronger but there is a lot we can do to help in 2021.
We can help those in need. For individuals and families who are suffering, we can do what is in our means to provide assistance. For business that need customers, we can seek out ones that we can help and we can do our part.
Let us welcome 2021 and see it as a gateway to getting back to normal at some point. Yes, we can remember 2020 for what it was, but we don’t have to dwell on it.
We can look to a better and brighter future, one that we will make together with our strength, our resolve, and our steadfast determination.