If you thought online commerce and internet ordering was big before, you haven’t seen anything yet. In 2020, due to the coronavirus and people staying at home, you are going to see a huge spike in demand for delivery of food and groceries to customers.
If you are home-bound and don’t normally order food for delivery, you may be surprised at the cost of restaurant food orders. Groceries may also seem more expensive, in part because there may be a shortage of lower-priced items.
If you have no choice and you have to order cooked food from restaurants for delivery, you need to think about how to lower the cost of your orders. The same goes for the ordering of groceries and how crucial it will be to keep those delivery costs down. You may have to order both of these items for delivery, but you certainly don’t have to break the bank doing it.
Here are my suggestions for how to lower the cost of restaurant food for delivery or take-out, or the amount you pay for grocery orders for pick-up or drop-off at your home:
- Find coupon codes. A lot of online retailers and food businesses have special coupon codes that you can use to save money on orders. Do some internet sleuthing to find coupon codes that you can input on your order page before you complete the transaction.
- Gift cards. Check to see if you or your family member has a gift card in your wallet or purse. Try and use these up first before pulling out a debit or credit card.
- Online-only deals. Many restaurants and to-go shops have special promotions or codes that that can be used on online orders. Find these as use as many as you can.
- Loyalty discounts. Do your best to frequent online websites that offer money off or cash back if you keep ordering with them.
- Referral websites. Some websites offer you cashback if you click through the links on their website. Make sure to always read the fine print to see what you need to do to earn money or get discounts, and see if that works for you.
- Credit card cash back. Does your credit card give you cash back every time you use it? If so, think about using it. Some banks and credit card companies even offer special discounts higher than normal that expire after a limited time, so check out those too.
Make sure you do your homework and really make an effort at finding ways to reduce the amount you pay for delivery of groceries or to-go food from restaurants. It will not always be like this in the world, but while we struggle with the changes we need to be smart about it.
In dark times like today, you have to do all that you can to save money in every way possible. Take the extra steps and put in the extra effort to save your cash and spend less on restaurant delivery and groceries sent to your home.