Springtime Cleaning Is A Great Time To Make Some Extra Money By Selling Your Stuff
It’s time to declutter your home and garden and get rid of junk
Photo credit: Darrin Atkins
If you need extra money, there are plenty of ways to get it. My favorite way is to sell my stuff online. This works great because I make some easy cash and the item gets a new owner. Even better, the new owner wants it and will take care of it, hopefully.
We live in a society of consumers. That’s how the world works, where people make things and sell them, and then people buy them and take them home. It works out well because most people enjoy having new things like tables, desks, lights, chairs, beds, and so on.
At some point people get tired of their furniture and belongings. What happens then? Well, you can donate the items to a thrift store, you can give it to family, or you can take it to the dump.
Another thing to do is to take your stuff, or junk as some people call it, and sell it for money. I think it’s a great idea because you get back some or all of the money you originally paid for the item.
Photo credit: Darrin Atkins
Here are some ideas for things you can sell online, on websites like Craigslist, or by doing a yard sale.
- Furniture. Do you really need that giant old couch or all four of those lounge chairs? And what about those big bulky shelves? Take a look at them to see if you can imagine using the space that they inhabit.
- Books. I know we have hundreds of books that we are not going to read again. It might take too long to try to list each one, but I bet I could sell some of them in a garage sale.
- Yard decorations. Do you have some distinctive pots, figurines, or other special decorative pieces in your garden? I bet you do and I bet someone else would gladly pay you for them.
- Shoes and boots. I know that others know a lot more about brand name shoes than I do. Figure out the real value of your boots and shoes and you can sell them online.
- Clothes. I have some sports jerseys and sweatshirts that I love, especially ones with logos for the San Francisco 49ers and San Francisco Giants. There is no way I am selling any of those, unless I can get some money and they go to real fans of the teams. If not, I will keep them forever.
- Jewelry. Okay, don’t go and sell your family jewelry for money. But if you have some other jewelry, necklaces, or rings that you don’t want, maybe you can list them for sale.
- Outside furniture. I rather enjoy having some tables and chairs in the yard, but lately it’s becoming too hot to be outside. You may feel the same way.
These are just some ideas about how spring cleaning can be a great way to earn a little extra money. It’s a great thing to declutter your home and make extra space.
You will be surprised at how you don’t really miss a lot of the things you sold. After all, I honestly don’t know what is inside some of the big blue plastic bins in my garage. They are all filled up so it must be something worth keeping inside them.
Make sure to remember the old phrase about how one person’s junk is another person’s treasure. It’s true. I could spend all day at garage sales because I love bargains and finding interesting things.