The world is in a big crisis. How do we survive the calamity? We get through it by communication and by the written word.
Writers around the world are well suited to help others. Since the advent of newspapers and then the internet, you can find help and guidance through the written word, that can help you find work, locate affordable food and services, and support and protect your family.
If you are a writer or reporter, you may be wondering how you can make some extra money on the side. There are lots of places on the internet that can help with matching writers with companies that pay for their work.
I have found the best place to express myself and to do writing is Medium. If you’re reading this, you should know that I have some great tips and suggestions on how you can write for Medium. If not for yourself, there may be others that you know who would be interested.
How can you make money on Medium?
- Sign up for a profile. This part is free and you will receive a certain number of free articles each month.
- Become a paying member, if you like. The current monthly fee is a low five dollars a month and that will let you read so much on the site. I wish there were more hours in the day so I could read more.
- Green circle around your profile photo. Once you become a paying member, you will notice a green circle around your profile picture. This is really important. It lets others know that you’re a paying member, and that means that they will get paid by your viewing of their content, though that will be reduced depending on how much you view of others’ work.
- Write stories. Instead of articles, Medium refers to the content your produce as stories. Remember that you want to write the very best content you can every day. Try to offer stories that provide useful information.
- To write stories, find the link under your profile that says New Story. Learn how to use the tools to find photos and format your stories.
- How do you make money? In short, you make money these days by how much reading time that other paying members spend on reading your content. So you want to write great content that paying Medium members what to read and share. If there are paying Medium members who read a lot of your work, you will get paid based on reading time by them.
- Don’t give up. You can’t expect to have your stats show all kinds of activity and income when you just start. There are many tens of thousands of Medium writers, many of whom have been writing for years on the platform. Be realistic and play the long game.
- One hour a day. Plan to spend at least one hour per day on Medium, outside of any writing time. Networking and supporting other Medium writers is very important. If someone claps for you, clap back to them or at least acknowledge them. Respond to comments. Highlight and share content that you like.
- Stay committed. I learned quickly that you need to have a long horizon time if you love Medium. It is now my favorite website and number one online activity.
- Helpful tips. There are plenty of other stories or articles about Medium that can answer your other questions. Medium also has a help section so check that out.
Medium is a wonderful place. You can write as much as you want, you can meet other people, you can network, you can improve your skills, and you can hopefully make a little money or even a lot.
Remember the following social etiquette tips if you decide to commit yourself to Medium:
- Be polite
- Support others with encouraging words
- Clap for the stories you enjoy, and clap often
- Ask for tips from others
- Be considerate
- Be constructive with any criticism, or avoid it if you can
- Be safe and respect others
Medium is a wonderful website and a great place full of kind people who write. Join Medium if you’re interested, or refer others, and let’s make Medium the best website on the planet.