Major news organizations reported today that a New York District Attorney is investigating U.S. President Donald Trump and/or one of his companies or businesses for alleged fraud. This has rarely happened before, the fact that a President is in this kind of scenario.
This is notable for a lot of reasons. The prospect of a sitting President or his company being indicted or charged with a crime is hard to ponder.
Lots of people wonder what is going on and have questions:
- Are these real crimes and accusations, or is a political in nature?
- Was President Donald Trump the one doing these alleged things, or were they done by subordinates without his knowledge?
- Is it legally wrong to describe one’s assets as valued at dollar amounts greater than other valuations?
- Who gets to determine the real value or worth of assets, when those values are used for taxation purposes?
There are many more complex legal and political questions that will be asked and possibly answered in the coming weeks, months and years. The United States Congress and the United States Supreme Court are likely to have their opinions and will undoubtedly influence the outcome.
What will happen to President Donald Trump if he loses the 2020 presidential election and there are criminal charges remaining against himself and/or his companies or businesses?
- Some say he will try to pardon himself and his corporations
- Others suggest that the next President will pardon him
- Many believe that he should answer the charges and for the matters to go in front of a jury
- Lots of people will just want to move on and forget about all of this
These are interesting and memorable times in American history and we will certainly be thinking about these political matters and Donald Trump for many years. Stay tuned and let us wish well for the future of our country and for the prosperity of America, regardless of your political position or party.